# 19: Snake Charmers

I was wondering if we would run into snake charmers during our visit.  I had heard that these folks and people with performance monkeys were either banned or discouraged now-a-days in India.  However, as we were leaving the Mehrangarh Fort, we ran into this group of individuals and their snake.  Keith and I were so happy and spontaneously started shooting with glee.

As we were doing this, the guys behind us, who were selling trinkets and paintings and postcards, came up to us and started watching us.  A couple of them asked me how much my camera costs…I was a tiny bit uncomfortable….why? Because I thought of two things: 1) it is so expensive, and they have so little…I was embarassed. and 2) I had a thought that knowing how expensive it was would make us prime targets for pick-pocketing and theft.

By the way, not once did we lose anything throughout the trip or did we feel unsafe. Anyway, we took our shots, paid them their “fees” and left very happy!

This entry was posted in India, People, Street Photography, Travel.

6 Comments

1. tonebytone April 6, 2010 at 10:58 am #

Usha, when asked in a different country how much your camera cost, you can always just say, sorry, but I don’t remember now. Or you can say that you have no idea how much it would cost in rupies, or whatever the currency of the country is.

BTW, the intense stare of the guy in the first image would make me quail if I were a snake, lol!

2. Usha April 6, 2010 at 11:49 am #

Hey Flo…Thanks for stopping by….yes…the intensity of his stare is something else…isn’t it?

3. April April 7, 2010 at 5:57 pm #

You would *not* get me anywhere close to this…cobra? Not even with a 300mm lens on a crop factor camera. 🙂

The first portrait is a winner with the title.

4. Usha April 9, 2010 at 6:30 am #

Thanks April. It felt really safe as they were in a generally spacious setting. Did not feel creepy at all.

5. tjavery April 10, 2010 at 8:09 am #

That guy’s stare is intense and at the same time a bit crazy looking. I’m guessing those are the requirements of the job 🙂

Love the last shot 🙂 Makes me cringe a little bit, but I’m sure you used a long lens 🙂

6. Usha April 10, 2010 at 8:32 am #

Hey TJ, thanks so much for stopping by. BTW…my husband Murali visited your site and was blown away by your images. I was proud to know you as a friend. Take care