#9: Caramel Apple Anyone?

I loved shooting these kids.  They are so full of fun, ice cream and excitement.  I could have spent hours on them….but just spent 5 minutes.  Aaaah.

This entry was posted in People, Street Photography, Travel.

10 Comments

1. Pixelle 2008 January 8, 2010 at 2:53 pm #

Very nice shot. Well balanced. I like the fact that the little girl, placed in the center, is lighter than the other kids, so she stands out in the group. I like how the blacks and whites are distributed in the picture. The contrast is very amazing.

A very successful picture, Usha. I enjoyed looking at it

2. April January 8, 2010 at 7:43 pm #

Here, I see through your eyes. And it’s a delightful experience.

3. tonebytone January 9, 2010 at 2:30 pm #

I agree with Micheline and April. I wish you’d had more time with these kids. You’ve captured their sheer joy at experiencing the cold and the ice cream and the other excitements and enticements in their area – plus, wonder of wonders, some nice lady wants to take their pictures! Can life be better!?

4. Usha January 9, 2010 at 3:03 pm #

Hi guys,
    You all are so very supportive. I really, really appreciate it. You know, I am coming to more and more of a realization that my passion lies in people and street portraiture. I like capturing moments and enhancing them into realistic images in the post.

April, when I last visited your blog, I noticed Rolland’s Punctum Saliens site. I took a look at it again and somehow, today…the concept portfolio of his hot me with a huge force. I got lost in it, got out of it, fully motivated and felt like THAT is the next project/portfolio I want to pursue. The more I thought of it, the more excited I became.

So, you will see, hopefully, the start of a project coming soon.
    Thanks again
    Usha

5. tonebytone January 10, 2010 at 9:07 am #

Usha, thanks so much for reminding me of Roland’s projects. So I took the time to view a few of his – those landscape panoramas just about blew me away! Then his “Micromacro” and his “Concepts” – esp the concepts project – wow! He says you don’t have to like the images or even know what they are, just so looking at them moves the viewer emotionally. Yep, this is what most of my images lack and why I usually end up not valuing them so much.

Altho your passion lies in almost the opposite direction from Roland’s – people and street portraiture – you both have the same passion for your work – and it shows in your images. You, too, April and Micheline. Micheline, I’d love to see more of your work!

6. April January 12, 2010 at 6:06 pm #

Usha: “You know, I am coming to more and more of a realization that my passion lies in people and street portraiture.”

Light and life shines in those from you! Also in your urban scenes, with your joy of color.

“So, you will see, hopefully, the start of a project coming soon.”

I look forward to it!

Flo: “He says you don’t have to like the images or even know what they are, just so looking at them moves the viewer emotionally. Yep, this is what most of my images lack and why I usually end up not valuing them so much.”

Though your images are more abstract, I struggle with the same thing. At the end of a workshop with Freeman Patterson several years ago, my portfolio assignment was to head into a birch grove with the caveat, “We want to see how you _feel_.” That has become an ongoing quest…

7. Usha January 12, 2010 at 7:47 pm #

Flo and April,
    This is actually a very interesting discussion. I am never sure when I should just stick to my passion (people and street portraiture…as you stated) and when I should experiment with various techniques and concepts, as you all and everyone in the community seem to be doing so rigorously.

I mostly get a high on shooting people on the streets, bars, occasions, etc. I will continue to do that. I also do like macro/concept shooting…though I have never pursued it. Rolland’s site did motivate me to try it…..I am excited about it and will investigate this excitement a bit. I COULD have two passions if all goes well.

As I was driving today, I noticed several lamp posts that had very cool macro design potential. I will go out to shoot this weekend….more and more, I am tending to be a weekender when it comes to shooting…and a corporate toxicologist during the week. That’s OK.

So, thanks for your continued support and I will get back to you with some of my macro/concept images. My intent is to get 10 of those to form a portfolio.

Wish me luck!!
    Usha

8. tonebytone January 17, 2010 at 11:20 am #

Usha, if you have a strong passion for people, then that’s what you’ll be shooting most of the time. But you know, all of us do burn out once in a while. So when you find yourself shooting the same angles, same lens, same expressions – and feel that your images are becoming the “same old same old” – then’s the time to turn to other subjects, lenses, etc. Inside instead of outside and so on.

After a few days of “vacationing” from your people passion, then you’ll be able to approach that once again – with a fresh feeling and a fresh perspective. So don’t feel guilty if you go off on a tangent once in a while. Doing so is probably just what the doctor ordered.

Yesterday I took my Fujifilm FinePix S200EXR out and for the first time used its video capacity. It was such an interesting feeling of “switching” going on in my brain/mind while shooting the short video clips. I kept getting ideas, ways to seque from one subject to another, etc. I’m sure some of this will reflect back onto my still photography. I shot only a few stills – after I’d been shooting video for a while. But I really liked those few stills much better than I’d expected to!

Now I think I’m going to treat my still photography the way I approached the video yesterday. I’m going to hold my camera to my eye and pretend I’m shooting video and perhaps get a few more interesting and different and unusual POVs than I’d normally get. 🙂

9. timbgray January 18, 2010 at 11:36 am #

Lots of interesting layers happening here. Wouldn’t change a thing. The girls gaze is absolutely riveting. Normally I wouldn’t think of having that centre of interest smack dab in the middle of the frame, but here it really works nicely.

10. Usha January 18, 2010 at 1:40 pm #

Thanks for stopping by and for your supportive comments Tim. And Flo, thank you too for being here. It means a lot.

Tim, I have been lax in my shooting…your comment gave me the impetus to go shooting.
    Thanks again